Cherokee County Courthouses
The construction of Cherokee, North Carolina's courthouses has a history of being grand in its
notion of size and accuracy. However, the first Cherokee County officials accomplished their
tasks in empty buildings at Fort Butler, until a temporary log courthouse was constructed. In
1844, an exquisite, brick courthouse was built to replace the setting of the transitory log
building. Twenty-one years later, the courthouse was set on fire and burned by federal
Following the burning of that courthouse, an improved and two-story courthouse was
completed in 1868. It was known as the "Bull Moose Pen" and was large enough to encompass four
different departments. This facility lasted until 1891, when the county began arranging for a
new building. At $32,000, the courthouse was completed in 1892 including a brick exterior with
marble trimming and a belfry. An accidental fire destroyed this courthouse, along with the
courthouse following it. Compared to their surrounding structures, Cherokee County courthouses
had a superior essence due to their Romanesque design and overall dimensions.
County courthouse that still stands today was completed and occupied in 1927. It's notorious for
the rotunda's intricate marble flooring consisting of alternating blue and white marble squares
and an eight-point start in the center.